The APPG last did a session on children and young people’s wellbeing in December 2018. Since then, there have been significant changes in the wellbeing of children and young people, particularly as a result of the effects of Covid-19.
There are also now a large number of projects aiming to measure and improve life for young people in the UK and in one of his first speeches as Education Secretary this month, Nadhim Zahawi vowed to ‘put wellbeing at the centre of everything we do in schools’.
At the meeting we heard from a range of speakers on the latest data we have on children’s wellbeing and projects that show what action can be taken.
The meeting was chaired by Jon Cruddas MP, speakers included:
- David Gregson – #BeeWell – surveying the wellbeing of pupils in secondary schools across Greater Manchester
- Lucy Bailey – Bounce Forward – Healthy Minds project
- Dr Magdalena Soffia – What Works Wellbeing – Measuring children’s wellbeing project
- Dr Louise Moore – The Children’s Society – Good Childhood Report
- Chris Wright – Youth Sport Trust – Well Schools
- Miriam Sorgenfrei – EIF – Review of mental health interventions in schools
A copy of the Zoom recording is available on request.